Saturday, September 20, 2008

in between the place you want to be and where you are

Ok, So I really didn't want my blog to turn into just a bunch of venting about my stupid roommates. But, there are a lot of things I don't want. For instance, I don't want to...live in this apartment any more. I don't want...the binge eating problem I appear to be developing. I don't want....Sarah Palin as vice president. Unfortunately I seem to have no control over any of these issues. So here it goes.
Last time I bought milk, I thought that it seemed that it had gone empty before I thought it should. And i wasn't sure if I had used it up and forgot, or if someone else had used it. So, next time I bought milk I wrote a little "CJ" on the cap, to avoid any milk mixups. Today I went to look at my milks, like you do, and discovered that there was maybe 2 tablespoons left in each the soy milk and regular milk. I do not leave small amounts like that in my milks because it annoys me. You know who does that? Slobs. You know who I live with? Slobs.
But still, I was like, well, maaaybe I used the milk. But then I realized. There are 4 boxes of cereal on top of the fridge (none of them are mine. I can't buy cereal because of aforementioned binge eating problem). There is NO other milk inside fridge. And, come to think of it, I'm not even sure I've ever seen any other milk in the fridge.
And, as in other areas of my life, I see that other people are not buying their own cows, but using my milk for free.

I learn a lot in my new apartment. Like problem solving. there are always several solutions to every problem. For instance, flies are a problem. And, unsurprisingly, a problem in my apartment.
One solution is to sit on the couch and watch football for 6 and a half hours straight with a can of raid at your side. When you see a fly, you get up and spray it.
Another solution is to do your goddamn dishes and eliminate the source of the problem.
Guess which is the preferred solution in my apartment.

Finally I am going to be starting a segment called, "Things in my fridge that shouldn't be there"
So far:
Empty bag of cheese.
Melon in produce drawer that has been there since i moved in and is developing a spotted pattern
Grocery store receipt.

4 comments:

AndSheWas said...

I hold so much back on my blog about my roommate. He confounds me for the most part; I just cannot wrap my mind around why he does what he does sometimes. But the milk stuff, I know exactly what you're talking about.

I would so find a new apartment if I were you. Really - dealing with one lazy roommate is enough, but then to add two more on top of that...ugh. If you didn't sign a lease or contract of some sort, get out before you have a freak out.

I know that is all easier said than done, but sometimes you just need someone to say "this is bad, find an alternative" before you feel entitled to have a better living situatuon.

Then again, this could all be great writing fodder...

Caitastrophe said...

I have decided that moving is too hard and expensive and that just getting over it will be equally hard, but substantially less expensive. So, there it is, we all deal with less-than-ideal situations. This is one of them. And unless it's something particularly egregious, I am going to try to not blog about my roommates general awkward and slovenly behavior.

jen gui said...

Oh my goodness!!! I literally could not stop laughing while reading this blog. My 2-year-old son was looking at me like I was crazy.. I also have roommate from hell stories, and I can totally relate.. I know it is old and I don't even know how I got to your blogs in the first place. Wait, now I remember. I was searching for the Pioneer Supermarket in Clinton Hill and I came across the blog about how horrible it was, then I clicked on the link to Dating Disaster #6. All I can say is that I have read at least 20 of them today and I am hooked. It feels like a good book you just can't stop reading. Kudos Caitlin. I will continue to read until I get sleepy. :-)

Caitastrophe said...

Thank you! Check out persephonemagazine.com which is a blog I co-edit and caitastrophejane.tumblr.com which is my new personal blog where I am currently blogging about my job from hell