Monday, January 26, 2009

i'm not an addict (maybe that's a lie)


I have a confession about a secret habit. It's becoming kind of an expensive habit and I don't know how to stop it. I need to go to laundryhab....because I have lost all ability to do my own laundry. I HAVE to drop it off. Every week I say I am going to start doing my laundry again, and then I don't do it...and then it piles up and I say I'll really do it this time. I even check the little bag where I keep my quarters to see if I have enough. I plan out a Saturday where I can do it. I get all ready....and then...I go drop it off.
They eased me into it like any good dealer does. Because I was resistant..."it's too expensive", I said..."I don't want them to look at my underwear!", I said....but then I had a lot of sheets to do....lots of sheets can take a long time, and that's not personal....so I dropped them off.
Hey! I thought...that's kind of nice! They are all folded and ready to be put away...and it wasn't too expensive...not much more than I would have paid anyway. And the time saving!
So next time...I threw in some shirts...maybe some pants. And then the next time? Underwear. And it has spiraled out of control. Without having to do my underwear by myself, I have lost all motivation to do any laundry at all. And I was in denial for a long time, because it is way more expensive than doing my laundry on my own. But it's sooo nice!
I just paid $20 to pick up my laundry....and I mean, it was a lot of laundry. But see? There I go rationalizing. The fact is, I just need to face the fact that I am a laundry drop off junkie.
If this were Intervention I would need my loved ones to make a list of how my laundry addiction has affected them.
Caitlin, your laundry addiction has affected me in the following ways:
You can never hang out because you spent all your money on laundry.
You wait until the last minute to do your laundry because you think you will do it on your own and so then you run out of underwear and I have to listen to you complain all day about wearing a thong because it's your last clean underwear.
You lie about how often you drop off your laundry.
You say you can't hang out on a Saturday because you are going to do laundry but then you just nap until 4 and then drop off the laundry so you can go to the gym.
It's getting out of hand!!

4 comments:

Amy said...

Oh, Ms. Joyce! The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem! And you have! My laundry is currently residing in almost every room of my house. Believe you me, if I could just "drop off" my laundry I WOULD! But I'd still have to put it away...so...do you think I could hire you to wear your thong and put away my laundry for me? I miss you! Please come home soon.

Caitastrophe said...

Amy I was just talking about you yesterday because I was talking with some people about having a cookie exchange party!
I only like to put away laundry in my thong when it's already folded by the laundromat guy...it gets put away so nicely!!

Anonymous said...

Um, I drop off my laundry weekly! I am not spending my weekend with my family doing laundry. Fuck that.

Caitastrophe said...

Thanks Kira! You made me feel so much better about dropping off my laundry...you're right, I have precious few weekend hours for playing wii, I shouldn't spend them doing laundry