Friday, January 2, 2009

so this is the new year, and i have no resolution

this new year feels particularly anticlimactic to me. New year's never feels like a particular starting over time for me, I think my birthday usually is, but total caitlin makeover is an ongoing process anyway. And I don't do resolutions. I think sometimes I do a little reflection of the past year in my blog, but I don't feel like it -- lots of ups and downs and changes like every other year :)


Instead I am going to write about Ruby.

Here is a video from YouTube with her talking about her Rubyisms:


I have a really low attention span for youtube videos---this one is 7 minutes and I only watched half of it. BUT if you like watching youtube videos it's a longer look.


She is just so cute and you want to be her friend and you feel angry at everyone who ever stares at her or laughs at her. And it's just kind of an interesting reaction, because if I saw someone her size on the street I would probably say how gross it was and stare. And then I would spend the next 3 days talking with everyone I know about obesity and how one gets that large, and probably my own body image issues because I like to bring it back around to me. But I like Ruby and really want to support her. And every time she slips up on her diet, I don't think to myself that it's her weakness and that's why she's so big. I see it as a normal slip-up that we all have and I want her to keep going. So. Watch it.

My other tv related comment is about the whopper virgin commercials. If you haven't seen them, Burger King is supposedly going to these extremely remote areas and giving people who have never tasted either a Big Mac or a Whopper a taste test and then I guess the whopper virgins (a term that makes me extremely uncomfortable) vote. Anyway, people are all kinds of outraged because there is all this hunger in these areas and these people are going in with basically the epitome of American excess and giving it to only a few people without addressing hunger. I suppose that's all true, but I am more concerned about their tummies. I would assume that most of these diets are vegetarian. And if they consume meat it certainly isn't all cooked in grease and shit. Isn't going to make them really sick? Is there a follow up? Does Pepto-Bismol go in with a taste test between them and Immodium? Ridic.

No comments: