Sunday, August 10, 2008

Thwarted by technology

Thursday morning I got a text from a dude that I have been trying to cut out of my life. Later that morning, I accidentally spilled water all over my phone, frying it and impeding my ability to text. I would have texted back, because I have no self control, so it was clearly the universe intervening before I created further heartache for myself.

The universe wasn't thinking ahead though, and I emailed the dude while I was at work. Then I spent all Thursday and Friday and also Saturday being irritated, that although we had emailed back and forth a couple times, it wasn't to the degree I would have liked. So I was all mopey.

Friday night the dude called me and left a message (EVEN THOUGH I had said my phone was broken. Fucking moron). I can see phone calls and texts, but I can't reply or call back. A few of the keys on my phone still work though, including the one that gets me to voicemail, but not the numbers in my password (side note, I really hate having to have a voicemail password. I don't give a shit who listens to my voicemail. Oh you want to listen to my mom calling to tell me to remind her to tell me a funny story about what happened at the market? Be my guest.). So I go to the website to change my password to numbers that work on my phone. The message that I got was "Invalid Mtn." Which, a websearch tells me does not mean I have an invalid mountain, but in fact an invalid mobile telephone number. Which is bullshit, the website enters it for you and it is actually my phone number. No dice there, can't listen to the voicemail. I would probably have emailed the dude, but...

Saturday night my roommate got drunk and spilled crap all over our cable modem. No more internet. I am in Starbucks paying 6 dollars for an hour...although a hobo just told me there's a free place down the street.
Awesome.
Why was a hobo in Starbucks?

A lot of posts tagged "fail" recently. Things are a little rough for Caitlin right now.

5 comments:

Business Horse said...

How do you spill stuff on a cable modem? I've never gone over to stare at my cable modem and realized that I could really go for a Shasta right now. You should just avoid liquids unless they are shot at you forcefully by the teaspoon.

Steady Nerdin said...

You need to check out the Starbuck's on the corner of 125 and Lenox because crackheads stay chilling at Starbuck's from the early morning 'till closing time. It's really a sight to see.
In the past month, I've had
1. DVD player die
2. water come in from the window and short out my Macbook, requiring $750 in repairs ('cause AppleCare is bullshit.)
3. My external hard drive full of music die (thankfully I had most of it on my iPod.)

So yeah, technology is failing me as well.

-Mike

Caitastrophe said...

I should probably just be kept in a padded room.
Mike you totally win, I feel petty complaining about my tech problems!

AndSheWas said...

I fucking hate technology, and I work with it all day. I was a goddamn theatre major and now I'm in charge of making the office equipment run smoothly. I hope it all dies in some apocalyptic meltdown someday.

Steady Nerdin said...

My headphones just died too. Ayo, I'm tired of using technology.