Sunday, August 3, 2008

Dating Disaster #3 or,The date that wasn't


So. I've been posting these dating disasters. And guess who should resurface but Griffin, of the blog stalking fame.
This motherfucker found my blog a while back. Wrote me a comment. Wrote me several emails, trying to get me to go out with him. I didn't, because the psycho checked my blog EVERY HOUR for a while.
So then i write these blogs, and Smith (reported first name) at smithstreetbrooklyn@hotmail.com (obvious fake email. i know that. but in case you want to send hate mail) writes me and says "oh, if you'd like a date you can blog happily about, you should let me know.
Turns out that he has written me on a day when I am bored and lonely, so we agree to meet at this bar in Carroll Gardens at 7:45.
I was a little late. 7:55. I walk into the bar and see friends of my bff Steph -- Bernard and Rebecca.
"Oh, hey...friends of friends" I say, awkwardly. "I am here to meet a date. Some creep who reads my blog and won't leave me alone."
I look around. Everyone at the bar looks the same. and they all look like my potential date. But none seem to be my date. Seriously...they all had the same haircut, same generic t-shirt style....it was bizarre.
"Hey sit and have a drink," my friends say. I comply, all the while looking for my date. For like the first half hour I was watching the door, looking around. I even got out my cell phone to check my email and get his picture from the email, which I showed to Bernard and Rebecca and even the bartender who all confirmed he was not in the bar and had not been in the bar.
He never fucking shows.
There is a dude who looks a lot like Smith. My friends agree that he looks like Smith and "dare" me to go ask if it's him. I do.
No, he says, I am not Smith.
I walk back to my barstool, mortified.
Later, not-Smith comes up to me. "There are about 5 guys over there claiming to be Smith," he says. I laugh, but none of the other not-Smiths come over. I was flattered, and probably would have talked to any of them, but no luck there.
5 drinks later, I decide to leave the bar. I'm drunk, pissed and amused all at the same time.
All this time, my friends insisted that the bartender had a thing for me. I agreed, especially since he kept giving us all these drinks. Normally, he would not be someone I was interested in....but I do like free drinks, and it had been a weird night.
As we get ready to leave the bar, it turns out that he was charging us for the drinks.
Still, my friends decide I should leave a note on a coaster for the bartender who clearly had a thing for me. I do. He shoves it under the bar.
Apparently he looked at it after I left and said, "oh, that's sweet."
Basically? Fuck you.

And here's what I don't get....this dude is kind of obsessed with my blog...kind of obsessed with how amazing I am, and I finally consent to a date, so why the no-show? Was it because I was 10 mins late and he left? I told him I would blog about it..did he get cold feet? Did he not like the picture? 5 not-Smiths, the bartender and Bernard would all say the latter could not possibly be the case. So what gives.
Regardless, I have zero tolerance at this point for date stupidity. So, in case anyone was wondering, there will be no second chances. And I'm taking a break from dating for awhile. I think at least the rest of the month. In the meantime, I'm going to be working out my self-respect and self-esteem issues.

I'm also going to be taking a little break from blogging. Return date TBD.

4 comments:

AndSheWas said...

Between getting stood up and getting scammed, no wonder you wanna get the hell out of NY. But maybe your stalker is someone famous, and he couldn't come into the bar because the paparazzi were following him, and he would have been exposed as cheating on his wife. Good theory? That's what I'd tell myself if it happened to me.

Steph said...

bernard texted me and was like, "i'm hanging out with rebecca and caitlin!" and i was thinking, "i don't know what parallel universe they all met up in, but i'm sure it's an interesting story!" but i would not have thought it would be because blog guy did not show...i think no second chances is a good rule on this and if i were in town i would help you out on the no dating thing. as it is i can only send positive Secret energy.

elocin said...

heya! i had set up a date last night with this same guy (smithstreetbrooklyn)! (via craigslist)... and same deal- no show! out of curiosity i googled his email address and found your post- and glad i did.

Caitastrophe said...

Hello! You know, several months ago someone also googled his e-mail address and got to my blog, but they were in Chicago. I am wondering what kind of game he's playing.

Maybe now I will e-mail him and see what he's up to. Like a year later he started e-mailing me all of these explicit e-mails until I told him I would report him for harrassment.

You definitely dodged a bullet.

Oh and my smithstreetbrooklyn said his first name was Smith. What a creep.