Friday, August 22, 2008

You don't know if you wanna hit me or kiss me


This is an im conversation I had with my friend earlier today:

me
:
i really am a cautionary tale
to everyone, apparently

Bernard: yeah

I would think you'd want to change that

me: not really, actually

then what would i talk about

Bernard: what's funny is guys LOVE girls like you

me: girls like me how?

Bernard: messes

me: guys who have savior complexes

Bernard: guys think they're the thing that's gonna mix them

me: yep

Bernard: when that's so wrong

me: 1. there's no saving me from myself. 2. i don't want to be saved

Bernard: it's a problem in our wiringright

no and once you get that

(by you I mean guys)

then and only then can one have a truly interesting and beneficial relationship

me: i also think i need to learn how to not appear as though i need saving, when i don't

but that's a whole other issue

Bernard: yeah

otherwise it's a mixed message sort of thing





Jezebel recently had a post about the "manic pixie dream girl", best personified by Natalie Portman in Garden State. They had nothing but loathing for her, although I actually really loved her in that movie. Probably because I wanted to BE her. Whatever the polar opposite of the Manic Pixie Dream Girl is, that's probably me....the Depressive Analytical Fever Nap girl. I don't really watch a lot of movies, so I can't think of an example.
My blog title is from Dick Tracy (love that movie), in which Madonna plays the amazing Breathless Mahoney (side note, this girl I was friends with in 5th grade had a Breathless Mahoney t-shirt, which I would pay good money to have now). I am not nearly as sexy as Breathless, but I think she, Natalie Portman in Garden State and I all have one thing in common - a redemption complex. This is not to say that I am the one who wants to be saved, but that people tend to want to save me. Usually dudes. And I can't emphasize enough - I don't want to be saved. And honestly, I don't think I need saving.

For all my theatrics, misanthropy and self-deprecation, I actually think I have my life relatively together...I don't live in a trailer cum meth lab with 6 dirty babies at my feet...I pay my bills, I have more than one functional social relationship, I have an education, hobbies and goals....and even if those goals do include living my life by moving from one reality show appearance to the next, by many accounts I'm doing all right. So what is it that I project that makes people think they need to save me, or alternately write me off as "oh, caitlin" and laugh at my antics publicly while shaking their heads privately?
I don't think I know anyone who seems to attract the rescuer as much as I do, and if they did, I don't know if they would reject it as strongly as I do. As much as I often feel that my quality of life is tenuous and will be unraveled with one of my many infamous terrible decisions...I also don't want anyone to step in and think they need to fix it for me.
So, I guess my question is...for those of you who know Depressive Analytical Fever Nap girls, what is it about us that proclaims we need rescuing. And, do any of you feel like you fall into this category?

4 comments:

Steady Nerdin said...

There's something so perverse about getting with someone to save her or him or to change him or her. If there's something so noticeably wrong with the person from day one, why get into a relationship with him or her? Ugh. That sucks that you attract people like that. I know all about that kinda shit...

AndSheWas said...

Can I please share my earliest Dick Tracy memory?

I was in the first grade. I had a Dick Tracy Wallet, and I would use it to hold my lunch money. One night two boys in my class saw that I had a Dick Tracy wallet, and they were like, "Dick Tracy? DICK Tracy?" And I didn't get it at all. They kept snickering and I was like, "what?"

Fast-forward eight years or so. The memory of that fateful day suddenly came back to me, and I was old enough to GET why they were laughing at my wallet. Stupid, perverted boys.

AndSheWas said...

Um, I should say "one DAY two boys in my class." I was not having saucy sleepovers at the age of six.

Business Horse said...

I'm not Captain Save-a-Ho.