Wednesday, July 2, 2008

second floor living without a yard

Well, I am finally moved amid a number of frustrations and nervous breakdowns....the most major of which was my lack of internet access for the last 4 days.
I have no cable in this place, which is fine since it's temporary and I can get all my shows online anyway. But, with no online from which to download my shows, no cable, no job and nothing to do I have spent most of my recent time here in tears. And comfort eating...which actually isn't that different from before I moved.
But! I am a genius and I have fixed my internet and it only took me approximately 10 hours. So I feel better and less out of it.
I also had a job interview today that was my 3rd (and final) with this agency. The first was a screening interview with an HR person who then referred me to diff programs throughout the agency. The program that got in touch with me was in the Bronx, and after commuting to Harlem for my first 8 months here, I knew I couldn't get down with a commute like that. So THEN they told me they had availability at a program in Brooklyn and I interviewed there last week (I think? All my days are the same), so then they contacted me for a follow up interview which I did today. The guy today said that if I chose to take the job that it would be "a pleasure to have [me]". So, I'm hoping to hear back from them by Monday and then to start ASAP....there is only so long that my Judge Karen monies will last me.
I had started a long post about my memories of moving into the apartment on DeKalb, as a memorial for the move...but I don't feel like finishing it.
I love anniversaries though, and July 5th will be my 2 year anniversary of not having a job and I am planning a grand retrospective of the last two years of daytime tv, naps, poverty, government assistance, crafts and general loafing.
Longtime blog fans can feel free to contribute their favorite memories of my unemployment times, as it appears they will be coming to an end shortly.

Things I will miss about living in bed-stuy:
The soundtrack: "No Woman, No Cry" - on Saturdays; Rap/Hip-hop - Summer evenings; Fuck you nigga -all hours, all days
Not being able to hear parts of conversations/tv shows/movies because trucks/motorcycles/buses/loud teenagers are outside.
The grocery stores
The only marginally acceptable produce being sold out of a truck on the corner.
Being within pleasant biking distance of prospect park and the big library.
Nelson, Joe from the stoop, Andre Nash the hobo hero and my upstairs neighbor who may or may not have murdered a prostitute.
Living in a dangerous but developing neighborhood.
Street cred.
Living within walking distance from The Worst Target In The World.


Things I am looking forward to in the sublet:
The new soundtrack: Mexican restaurant downstairs
A real grocery store!
Bars not owned by my landlord.
Fabric store next door.
Living on the L.
Lots of episodes of everybody loves raymond and the kirk cameron religious show because I have no cable
A new discount store to replace Family Dollar

4 comments:

melly said...

Weren't you playing online bingo for money at some point? If so, that's my favorite memory.

Marissa said...

Congratulations on the move! Good luck navigating through the hipsters! I spent a day in Williamsburg when we went up to new york a couple years ago and I ran into at least 4 kids from high school. It was super unsettling.

Marissa said...

sooooo ...I guess you're without an internet connection at the moment. That's sad.

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.