Monday, June 16, 2008

Better pack your lunch, pilgrim, cuz it's gonna be a long drive

As I was leaving my apartment earlier this evening, I spied Sam the landlord out of the corner of my eye. He has been extremely friendly in his excitement over our impending fame, and I was trying to avoid him. As I was turning away I hear "Joyce!" (Goddammit)
"I haven't heard back from the woman" he said, referring to the producer.
I told him I hadn't talked to her either, but I was planning on calling her to get details about when we need to go etc. I think they send a car to pick you up.
"Hey", Sam said, "You know...we could just go from here. They can just pick us up together."
...
I can think of few things I would rather do less than ride to my tv court show appearance in Manhattan with the landlord I am suing who still does not know my name.

I used to think there could be no drive more uncomfortable than the weekly drive from Harlem to NYU with my nutcase supervisor from the nursing home. But, at least Camille played what I liked to call White Celebrities, in which she would pick one white celebrity every week and begin the drive by saying something like "What do you think about Madonna?" or "I hate Lindsay Lohan. Do you?" And then we would spend the drive talking about the white celebrity of the day. Somehow I doubt Sam would come up with a topic that he feels we could both relate to equally.
Although it would be a good chance for me to learn why he was in jail for the first 6 months that I lived here.

2 comments:

Steph said...

the one thing i have never thought of while watching court shows is, "oh, you know what, i bet they rode over to the courtroom in the same car and they'll ride home together, too! how eco friendly of them!"

AndSheWas said...

"We can ride over together" - wow, truly funny.

Don't you like it when something funny happens to you and you're not the only person who thinks it's funny?