Sunday, June 22, 2008

I'm just a courtroom gangsta

Part two of Judge Karen day:

So after meeting with the producers I went to the set to do the actual taping. I had been concerned I was going to get the giggles because the whole experience was so bizarre and hilarious.
Ok, so you know how on court shows they say "The plaintiff is now entering the courtroom" and they play music that's like "duhduh dun dun duuuh". Well, they actually play that as you're walking into the courtroom. Which I did not know and I feel like someone should have said. Because as soon as I opened the door I was seriously like, "are you kidding me?" So I may have what looks like a smirk while I walk in because I was simultaneously stunned and amused.
So then you stand at your mark (see how I use tv lingo there? That's how I do now) for a while and look into a camera. Don't know why. Then I go backstage while Sam enters and then I come back in and then we were sworn in.

I knew from what the producers told me ahead of time that it was clear that I was the good guy and the victim in the case. And when the judge came in it was obvious she had already made up her mind. She began immediately questioning Sam about why he hadn't been more helpful, etc. and accused him of lying.
So you all will see that at my viewing party or my youtube video. There are some good parts though. At one point the judge cracked herself up so much she cried. And then the whole audience gasps when I put the picture of the bedbug up on the screen. So there are some good moments, I hope make it into commercials. Imagine if they air the commercials for my episode during Oprah?!?!

They did not do an after-trial interview by Harvey Levin which kind of bummed me out.

In the car ride home I was talking to the driver, who apparently drives for all of the court shows and for Maury and Montel. I guess it's a lucrative position because he owns a second home in Vermont.
Anyway, this guy has nothing but disdain for pretty much anyone who appears on these shows. I was hoping he could tell me some stories about crazy shit that I am sure that has happened after tapings, but he wasn't very specific. However, he did confirm my suspicions about the teeth. They fix your busted teeth for you! They have some dentist on file and they send you there with your nasty teeth and fix them right up!

The next day I saw Sam while I was on my way to do laundry.
"Hey Joyce!"
I said hey and we joked about the trial. Then he told me I looked tired. I told him that being on the show had really worn me out.
"Oh, please" he said, "You loved it"

How can someone who does not know my name totally have my number?

3 comments:

AndSheWas said...

OMG I loved these tv court stories. I can't believe they gave you a picture of a bedbug, and that it also garnered gasps from the audience! They really make every effort to produce good "real" television.

I would really like to know how much money your landlord received for his appearance. How weird could it be if you just came out and asked him? You already sued his ass and he seems cool. In fact, from the way you described the situation, he sounds a little cocky.

Marissa said...

hmm... I'm curious too. Get on that Joyce!

Caitastrophe said...

He didn't get paid anything!
He told me that they promised him $100 but then later said that they never promised that.
He seemed kind of annoyed by it, but I think he was ok since otherwise he would have had to shell out over $600