Sunday, June 1, 2008

Real World: Bed-Stuy

The roommate situation hasn't gotten any better as she is now giving me the silent treatment and sending me emails worthy of passive aggressive notes.com. On Thursday night she sent me an email from the next room letting me know that she had transferred money into my bank account for the rent. I emailed her back to let her know that I wasn't going to do the passive aggressive email bullshit. I realized after the fact that sending that as an email was actually just doing that. But in my defense, I rarely see her any more AND she is giving me the silent treatment, so what else am I to do. She wrote me back a hilarious and ridiculous email, which I am going to go ahead and passive aggressively cut and paste here.
"it's the same situation as if one of us were cockroach breeders and one day they all got out, and we expected the landlord to cover it."
this was my favorite part of the email because it doesn't even make sense. Was I breeding bedbugs? Did I do something specifically to warrant having bedbugs? I know she blames me, but I don't know why. Plus it's just a bad argument, if I was breeding bedbugs I certainly wouldn't want them exterminated. She's just not thinking like a breeder and that's where her argument loses power.
"i don't believe that this is about the money for you. it's just another story for you to tell, and it's at the expense of our friendship."
This was actually kind of hurtful, because it makes it seem like I actually have to go out of my way to contrive situations that are worthy of a story. I think we can all agree that I naturally make enough terrible decisions that I shouldn't have to go the lengths of suing someone just to get a good story. That's why the blog is named A Horrible Warning! The story is just a positive benefit of the lawsuit. And her irrational rage at me just makes the story better.
In a later email she tells me that she is angry because she needs the security deposit to move. I think this was her first ever real apartment, so I suppose she can be forgiven for not realizing that you never get the security deposit before you move. But I don't know why someone has not told her that, assuming she has been ranting to others that I am ruining her ability to move b/c we will not be getting back the deposit.
It's also interesting that she is so angry at me about that. I have a right to sue my landlord, and if he wants to do something illegal like vindictively withhold our security then that is a decision that he is making and I can't be responsible for. In general I just don't get her rage.
In sad news, she took our barbecue off the fire escape. I guess that means she's anticipating that we won't get beyond this during barbecue season. Too bad because it's my favorite part of summer.

No comments: